Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Sidearm Scoop: Tournament Time!

Edgewood College pitcher Blake Hunt's continuing diary of the Eagles' championship season....

I must say this is the most excited I have been to write a blog entry (mostly because I am looking for any excuse to stop studying for exams). As I am sure you all know by now we clinched a share of the Northern Athletics Conference regular season title last night against Lakeland. I have never had the opportunity to win a conference championship so this was an extremely special night for me and one that I won't soon forget. It was awesome to see a pair of seniors (Matt Krueger and Scott Winters) pitch the best they have all season and absolutely baffle Lakeland hitters. Steve Binder continued to rip the ball and Treye Dennison kept finding ways to get on base and come up with clutch hits. Everything is clicking for us right now and I am excited to see just how far we can go.

While winning conference certainly was exhilarating, we also hosted a "Strike Out Cancer" event that supported a cause that is way more important than baseball will ever be. We honored one of our teammates who succumbed to testicular cancer before the game and it reminded all of us how lucky we are to be doing what we do and what an inspiration he is for so many of our players. Cancer has touched our team in way to many ways so it was great to raise money for such a worthwhile cause.

We will continue our season in Loves Park this weekend at the NAC tournament and would encourage you all to come out and enjoy a great weekend of baseball. I think we are all anxious to dump another cooler on Coach Brisack's head so hopefully that can inspire us enough to win three in a row this weekend, move on to regionals, and extend my tenure here writing The Sidearm Scoop!

Finally, I would just like to send a shout out The Eagle Blog's biggest supporter in former coach Josh Verb. It is great to know that Eagle fever is alive and well out in Pennsylvania.

No comments: