Thursday, October 9, 2008

Two Eagles in the Pointer Hall of Fame

I'm going to break my rule of thumb to not talk about myself on the Eagle Blog, but I'm only doing it because I can publicize another Eagle at the same time. Diane Hawkins, a graduate assistant women's basketball coach, and myself, David Petroff, sports information director, will be traveling to Stevens Point this weekend to participate in UW-Stevens Point's Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

In 2002, Diane was a point guard and I was an assistant coach on the Pointers' women's basketball team that won the NCAA Championship. We went 30-3 that year and earned an at-large bid to the Big Dance. On the way to the Final Four we defeated four-time national champion Washington University (Mo.) on their home floor, snapping their 70-game home winning streak. Then we hosted a sectional tournament in Stevens Point which featured about 1,800 fans stuffed into a gym with 1,500 seats. At the finals in Terre Haute, Ind. our team defeated Marymount (Va.) and St. Lawrence (N.Y.) for the title. It was truly one of the most exciting experiences of my life.

This weekend we will be back in Stevens Point as the 2001-02 team is inducted into the UW-Stevens Point Hall of Fame. I'm looking forward to seeing the whole team and reliving those wonderful moments.

P.S. to Hawkins: I can't believe it's been 6 1/2 years either.
---

No comments: